Wednesday, December 13, 2006

1/11/2005: Can I not wear shoes to dinner?

Okay, that may sound like an odd question, but after a long day of walking, when you take your shoes off, you value the time that they are not on.

I walked through the Uffizi in roughly an hour. I think I skipped a lot of stuff. I was very confused when suddenly I was in the gift shop and no one in my group had gotten there yet. Another thing I learned today--once you get in the gift shop, there is no going back.

I have never been a big fan of art, but I think today maybe my appreciation of it was slightly heightened. The rich, magnificent colors were astounding; I appreciated the great detail; and Michelangelo's David, which celebrated its 500th anniversary in September, was absolutely amazing, awesome and breathtaking. It was so lifelike I swear I saw the hand move. Some of the paintings I saw today were also gargantuan, as was David himself--I think his leg may be taller than I am, and I am 5 feet 9 inches tall. Amazing. Michelangelo was no less than a master at what he did. His work is absolutely magnificent in every way. I really would have expected David to have been in a much bigger, grander museum in a bigger city, like Rome, but since Michelangelo was from Florence it is fitting that David resides here.

The language barrier has not been such an issue here, fortunately--that was one of my biggest issues with this trip before I got here. The people speak usually speak at least enough English to know what you are telling them or enough to tell you something. If not, they can motion to you what they are trying to tell you.

I have been desperately trying to avoid looking like a tourist (which I know is unavoidable), so I have only taken 30 pictures so far (although if my pictures of the Duomo had come out better and it was not so big, I would surely have taken more of it). I finally broke down and made my first purchase today though--a leather jacket for myself. Not much of a deal at $110, and since I was at the market I should have haggled with the guy I bought it from, but oh well.

Okay, I think that is all for today. Ciao!

Pin It!

No comments: