Wednesday, December 13, 2006

1/12/2005: One last day in Florence

So today we went to Santa Croce, which was absolutely amazing. I know I've used that word a lot already, but it's true--a lot of what we have seen has been incredible. Then a group of us went to the Boboli Gardens (which reminded me a bit of Maymont back home) and the Piazza del Michelangelo, which involved a lot of climbing, but the view overlooking the city was awesome. Then a couple of us went to climb to the top of the Duomo, which terrified me--I'm not claustrophobic or afraid of heights, but that was not a fun experience. The view again was absolutely breathtaking, but the climb was my own personal hell because there was no place to stop and breathe or move to let other people by. There were 463 steps, and we did that in about 10 minutes. I cannot remember the last time I was so glad to be back on land. But as I said, the view was fantastic. Then we went to the Ponte Vecchio for a little shopping before getting lost on the way back to the hotel. Fortunately, some extremely nice Italians graciously gave us good directions and we were soon back after a long, tiring day.

Tomorrow morning we leave Florence for Siena. I don't know the availability of Internet access there or in Assisi, so it may be about three more days before you hear from me again (but I hope not). At any rate, ciao!
Pin It!

No comments: